Sunday, November 11, 2007

All the Fame, none of the Blame!

Yeah, nice article in the Tampa Tribune on Saturday morning following Tampa Catholic Girl's Cross Country first ever appearance in State Championships to take place on Saturday, 11/17. It mentioned how I left Jesuit High School to take over the Cross Country programs at Tampa Catholic. Really made me sound good.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/nov/10/sp-jesuit-ahn-tc-advance-to-state/

Only one problem, it isn't true. I came over to Tampa Catholic because I needed a job and I wanted to work at TC. I accepted an assistant Cross Country job, without pay (I now get a whopping $500 a year for coaching) because they needed help, and I knew I could help. I really don't know where the guy that wrote the article got his information. It is possible some of our athletes think that I'm the head coach, further it is possible that they think that I left Jesuit to come coach them, but I doubt that. The only other guys that even know I coached at Jesuit all know that I didn't leave there just to come coach at TC. The only thing I know for sure is that I didn't tell the Tribune that I left to come coach at TC. Our head Cross Country coach at TC is David Morejon and he has had every bit as influence in our success as I have had. He cares about the athletes as much as I do, he works as many hours on the team as I do, in truth, we are a great tandem. He handles all the paper work, order all the uniforms, fills out the roster, deals with all that crap, so I can go out and run. He is a whale of guy and I hope he wasn't hurt by the the paper making it seem like I "saved" the program. Besides, those athletes have given me more than I could ever give them.

Well, at least they spelled my name right!

5 comments:

Chase Squires said...

F'in reporters.

superdave524 said...

I was the King of Spain once. Wait, that's king of pain. And actually that was Sting, not me. Well, it's mostly true anyway.

Mr. Matt said...

Hey, Matthew (the reporter) was a really nice guy, and he had to have gotten that junk from somewhere (didn't he?). Anyway, Morejon was cool with it, that's cause he's a cool guy.

Arlene said...

On the PLUS side...at least you got some recognition for your work with this team from no where.

On the MINUS side...Morejon didn't.

On the PLUS side...Matthew didn't include a picture of your ugly puss?

On the MINUS side...Matthew didn't include a picture of your ugly puss?

Good luck in the marathon on Sunday!

Mr. Matt said...

Hey Arlene,
You're like my fingers and toes, I can count on you! thanks for the support :)
AndyMan