Friday, September 14, 2007

The Pinch that no longer Satisfies

Thank the lord for small miracles. Today marks four months since I've done this self-satisfying activity: Oh, none of that sissy peach, vanilla or apple, pure tobacco all the way. It's not my fault, I went to college in Alabama, tobacco was a required course (along with cow tipping and towels) I told my buddy Bill Oswald upon trying his Cope for the first time, "Man, you don't start on this stuff."

His reply was pure Ozzy, "Yeah, you don't quit on it either!" Well, you do if you're planning to run 4 Hunnert milers in 3 months (and also if you don't want lip, throat or gum cancer)

Anyway, I only bring it up because my neighbor here at work is a tobacco dipper (no it is not right next to the big-dipper) and the son-of-a-Kelly is always trying to get me to come out of smokeless retirement and to put a pinch between my cheek and gum, Earl Campbell style, and thus far I've resisted.

Do I miss it? Rarely. As I was told by the curious young man in restroom in the Minneapolis airport (it was actually a convenience store in Ashboro, NC), "I can think of a lot better things to put in my mouth." I guess we all have to have a hobby.

4 comments:

superdave524 said...

Now THAT is funny stuff! I remember visiting AndyMan in Alabama (the State of Intolerance) and trying to chew (never mind dipping) and gagging. I told AndyMan I guessed I just wasn't very good at chewing tobacco. His response, "Dave, if there's something good not to be good at, this is it". Congrats on being "smokeless-free".

superdave524 said...

...and I liked Walt Garrison better anyway.

Chase Squires said...

Good for you, I did my share (although I was a Kodiak man, amid the rumors they put fiberglass in it to cut your lip so you'd absorb it faster) and I'm glad to have stopped ...

Still not above a fine cigar, though. And I gotta say, I still like the looks I get wearing a "Smokey Joe" Camel cigarettes shirt at the post-race bagel and beer nosh ...

Mr. Matt said...

You know it was that evil-doer Jon Docs that got me back into smokeless. We were at Western States running camp in 2005, my then girlfriend, Kim, oh, excuse me, Dr. Kim, had just dumped me, I'd had a few brews and that Kodiak was looking good, so I took a slash. Yuck! Looking back, just thinking about it makes me want to spit!