Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Well Google me Silly!

Yall know I don't teach English, shucks, I hardly speak it at all. I do; however, teach history and government. In my quest to keep up to date I often refer to the Internet to spice up my otherwise dull lectures. You know you can plug about anything in to the Google images and you'll get a picture similar to what you want.

For instance, I had my government students create a state (what you lay-people may call a nation.) One of the things they had to design was a flag. Well, I had recently been to Springfield, VT, the official home of the Simpsons, so I'm thinking I'll design my example around the Simpsons. So I plug the following in to a Google image search, Doughnut Flag (Homer loves doughnuts) and this is what I got:

Not Bad Huh?

Today I was doing a lesson on Rome, complete with the educational focus activity (Hangman) and so I decided to bring my lesson to life with a picture of both the Leaning Towers.. Pisa and Pizza, here they are:





So, naturally, I get to wondering, what if I Google myself? I've done an Internet search before, and all it says is that this guy runs, sometimes pretty fast other times PDS. But I had never done an image search. I wonder what I'll get....


Well, I did the image search, and nothing, not one picture of me. But, I did get one that involved Andy Mathews in Tampa, Florida. And here that one is:

Now, those that know me well, know that Ali and I produce "Don't Quit" bracelets. We started this in honor of one of Ali's classmates that was suffering from cancer. Sadly, this trooper, Kelly, passed away earlier this year, but her memory lives on in the more that 150 bracelets that Ali and I have made in her name. We have donated more than $750 dollars to Locks of Love and the Vermont Adaptive Ski and Sports to help those that must fight everyday, and to whom quitting isn't an option. Well seeing this Google image, of one of our bracelets on the lovely wrist of Michelle Barton, champion ultra runner, has inspired Ali and I. We are cranking up the Don't Quit factory again.

I'm telling you, with the bracelet on, you can't quit, you won't quit. My bracelet has been on me in 6 of my eight 100 mile finishes, and I've never quit while wearing it.

Here's the skinny, send us $5 ($7 if you want it personalized, Bubba Don't Quit) and we'll send you a bracelet, and the profit will go to a great cause.

This was my first experience with the Don't Quit Bracelet. I didn't quit, and I went sub-24 At Western States :)

4 comments:

Chase Squires said...

And that address would be .... ?

Mr. Matt said...

Well, I figured you'd e-mail me with a request and we'd work it out. You know, you may want "Honey-baby-love-sweetie pie Don't Quit" for 7 clams. Or you may want "Don't Quit," for 5 beans. then you'd tell me and we'd make it and get your address. Any how way, my address is 306-B W. Lambright St. Tampa, FL 33604

leigh said...

thats an awesome buckle!!! it's not still in the box is it?

Mr. Matt said...

Leigh,
I wear it all the time, my students have no idea what it is, and I aint tellin'! And the Bracelet's not bad either, I will tell them about that when they ask.