Saturday, September 29, 2007

We're #9, We're #9!

Brag, Brag, I'm not comfortable with it, but I'm fixin' (about to, if you are not from Alabama) but I'm about to do it anyway.

Barbara is always asking me if I'm proud about my running. And to tell you the truth, I never really think about it. I don't consider that what I do is special, it's just a lot of hard training, nor do I consider that I'm particularly good at what I do. Don't get me wrong, I've had many of you tell me that I inspire you, I am proud of that, and I've won an award or two of which I'm proud. Regardless, there hasn't been any moment in my running that made me particularly proud of myself. Until yesterday. I don't know why but I've been checking the Arkansas Traveller 100 website off and on since I signed up for the race a couple of months ago. Some race websites have news bulletins, weather, and keep up to date, Arkansas' website hasn't changed in months, but I've still been checking. Yesterday they finally added the entrants list. So, I checked it out. I wanted to see if there were three more folks from Florida to see if we could enter the team competition (an age and sex adjusted total time for the team). Well I got two pieces of news:



1- I'll be the first finisher from Florida (if I finish) for the second year in a row (aint nobody else :)



2 (here's the bragging): They gave me race #9. They gave all returning racers from last year's top ten their finishing spot as their race number. Many races do this, but believe me, I've never thought about it before. Sure, Arkansas is a small race (about 130 entrants), but the only time I've ever noticed single-digit numbers were on runners like, Scott Jurek, Tim Tweitmeyer, and Ann Trason. Even Dean has a double-digit number at Western States. So, yes, I'm proud because in a small venue because of one great day for me, I'm one of those guys. I have no idea how I'll do in that race, but I know I'll keep that race number forever, because it's the only one like that I'll ever get! You know what, that makes it more special.

.................. A little more bragging, sorry, That race number yup, above, that one, with the 9er on it; well I drew that, no, no it's not a photo, and those aren't real safety pins, it's paintbrush, in the accessories section of your computer, who knew?..............

13 comments:

superdave524 said...

How cool is that!?(exclamation point, question mark). In your i-pod, you need to put the Beatles song that keeps saying "number nine, number nine" in it. I forgot the name of it. Any Beatles fans out there?

Mr. Matt said...

I'm hunting that bad boy down pronto. Ok, it's Revolution 9, I'd never heard of it, but as God as my witness, I will never go 9 less again!"

Extra Credit, What Fruit/Veggie was scarlett digging at when she made the above comment?

GatorFan said...

F#@* Auburn!!

That was my first thought about 11:35 Saturday night.

Then I had a real interesting conversation with God.

God: What did you say? (pretending, of course, that he didn't know what I said)
me: (not realizing at first that it was God I was speaking with) I said, F#@* Auburn!
God: But why?
me: There goes our national championship.
God: Not necessarily. Remember that neat thing I did last year? You ain't seen nothing yet.
me:(finally realizing it was God and a little surprised that God would say "ain't") I thought when you made the dude kick it twice you'd make him miss it the second time.
God: Yea, I thought about it. But some bad things are about to happen to some of the Auburn fans and I thought I'd give them something to brag about for a while. Besides, if I give Florida ANOTHER national championship, how long will it be before everybody figures out that I'm a Gator fan?
me: Good point, God. (me sucking up to God) Hope you don't have anything bad planned for Andyman.
God: Who? (God, trying to make a joke ... what a kidder!) No, nothing bad for him. So long as he doesn't brag too much about Auburn on that blog of his. He's been through enough rough spots for a while. Of course, there is that amusing little thing I have planned for him in the last race next summer but it's a secret for now. I'll let him tell you about it.

Well, gotta go.
me: Wait, what "amusing little thing"?
God: (no answer)
me: Come back. I have so many questions. What about the future? Who's gonna win the next election. Please don't let it be Hillary.
God: silence
me: (under my breath) F#%* Auburn.

So that was my Saturday night, swear to ... er ..(maybe it was the Tequilla).

Mr. Matt said...

Who are these Auburn people and I've been to South Florida, and there is no South Florida there!

As for God and being a Gator fan, well, and here I just thought it was Spurrier pulling the strings all along, turns out, it was God all this time. Oh, why couldn't I have gone to Florida (620 on the SAT aside?)

Steve, see, you're into it, turns out you're a funny guy, who knew?

Mr. Matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GatorFan said...

Looks like an interesting game coming up between the USF Bulls and the Cincinnati Bearcats. I expect that the Bulls will be favored but I don't want the points. What do you say, Andyman?

Mr. Matt said...

Steve,
I've always been a big Bob Huggins fan (or is it Gerry Faust?) Any way, you're right it should be a winner of a game and color me in!

AndyMan (shoot, it it's up there, I'd love to try to steal my way up there, for it. But I am telling you what I'd love to do and what I am able to do are rarely the same sport. Now, through in an IN or KY marathon and I still probably can't make it, but I'll feel even worse about missing it!)

superdave524 said...

Anyone remember that joke where an Auburn fan dies and asks God why he let Auburn go for a touchdown in the final seconds of a game against Bama, when all they needed was a field goal to win (Auburn missed the field goal). God, supposedly mused for a second, held his chin. Scratched his head, then turns to his side and says, "I don't know. Bear, why did I...". I also remember AndyMan involved in the destruction of someone's personal property in a state which no longer has jurisdiction over him, wondering how a loving god could let Auburn lose. I'm pretty sure he was serious.

Steve, you are indeed a funny guy. Tragedy seems to bring it out.

superdave524 said...

Excuse me. Auburn didn't get the touchdown. Geez, and I'm typing.

GatorFan said...

SuperD,

You posted something recently about being either a good writer or a crappy lawyer. Figured I better brush up on the writing.

AndyMan, don't think you'll need to worry about a road trip for USF v. UC. It's a home game for the Bulls this year. Go Bearcats.

(Hard to root for the Bulls even though I'm an alum cuz I never seen um play one snap of the football.)

Mr. Matt said...

Hey Dave hey Steve,

Er, yeah, I'm number nine, whoo hoo.

Mr. Matt said...

Pat Tie Dye "Now God, why'd you have us run left instead of kicking that field goal?"

God, "I don't know. Hey, Bear, why did I ....."

superdave524 said...

Potatoes?