Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My Mini Camp

Yes, I disappeared.

When I got back from Colorado/Wyoming I sat back and let life happen. I didn't know if I was coming or going, I didn't know if I was washing or hanging out.

I put blogging on the way back burner.

Quite frankly, I didn't have much to say. I did not know if I was going to Western States, and not going there would have meant an early retirement. The Rocky Mountain Double had asked more questions than it answered. Yes, I finished. Yes it's at altitude. No, my foot didn't hurt. But I was so slow. The question begged, can I finish a 100-mile mountain event in their time frame? Honestly, as Chase and I held off the only two people behind us in that race, I thought, no I probably can't finish that race. Sure, I told myself there is value in trying even if you don't believe you are going to succeed, but that couldn't make me plop down another $500 bucks for plan-fare, hotels and a car.

A couple of more miserable runs in Tampa's heat gave me no answers.

Then, after a Sunday run at Flatwoods 9 days ago, bam! I ran effortlessly. Yes, our pace was slower, but those 15 miles with no trace of pain made my decision. Farge-N-A, I'm going! I came home made plane reservations, lined up the awesome June Leland as crew, signed Dr. Frank up as a pacer, let's hope he doesn't drink too much and become High Sierra in the High Sierra's! (that was for you SuperDave!)

Well, that 15 miles turned in to 119 in miles in 8 days. On our overnight run on Friday night my buddy, Andy Barrett, told me, "I haven't see you run like that in over a year!" Andy, I haven't run like that in over a year. Don't get me wrong, many of those 119 miles of my mini-camp have been a struggle, but for the most part I feel like me again, not that whiny punk that inhabited my body since the Slam came crashing down at Leadville last year.

I am confident enough in a Western States finish that tomorrow, I'll post the process to follow me along the route!

Thanks for bearing with me, and it's damn good to be back, damn good!

9 comments:

Chase Squires said...

Welcome back! To the Web and to the world of the living to run!

superdave524 said...

You go, Boooyee!

Star said...

He's ba-ack! I saw it with my own eyes as I chased him through Croom Monday morning. He's gonna ROCK 'States...no question in my mind.

Chase Squires said...

He can thank that tough love training in Colorado, lots of hills and little oxygen, made him tougher than before! (hey, how about some cold rain, too!)

Mr. Matt said...

Chase, thanks for the tough love. It helped, almost as much as the EL Cortizone shot!

I aint saying I'm gonna win, what I'm saying is, "I'm in the Game!" and it feels perdy darn good!

Anonymous said...

Oh, joy, my life just got interesting again. What ever was I to do without reading your blog and breaking your shoes.... windsurf, count my money, write another book, make healthy chips, look at myself in the mirror... yes, not much, my life is complete again!

-Dean Karnazes

Star said...

Hey...all the lights in Tampa went dim. I guess Andy must be online again :)

Anonymous said...

The lights didn't go dim. That's just my nads eclipsing the sun.

-Dean Karnazes

superdave524 said...

Uh, "Eww".