Sunday, August 30, 2009

Geeks vs Nerds vs Kool Kats

Ok, let's end this controversy.

What's the best, what's the worst and what's reality?

See, my BLF stated that she was miffed because someone said she had some nerd like tendencies. Yeah right! As the taller brother in Rat Race said, "I 'ont 'ink oh!" (for those of you that haven't seen the movie 12 times, that's I don't think so) My BLF is the farthest thing from a nerd. She's got fashion savvy, she drive an SUV, She doesn't run her mouth when she should bite her lip, she's got a great sense of humor, on and on. So she's smart, that alone isn't enough to put you in Nerdville.

When I delivered this declaration to her, she just looked at me. "What, don't you believe me?" I ask knowingly.

She says, "er, well, ah, yeah, ok see, it's just that you are kind of a nerd, so you can't really judge."

What me a nerd? Let's check the criteria. Fashion Sense? Ok, I'll admit to owning a pair of Hush Puppies, and I still think digital watches are pretty neat. So, I'm going to take a hit here.

What was next? SUV? Well, no, but my Honda Fit is perfect for my lifestyle. Good gas mileage, can adjust the seats. Fit for function, not flare. Ok, I take a hit there too.

Holds tongue or spouts off? Ok, Ok, even though I'm 0-3 I'm still not a nerd, and here's why.

I also, cut my own hair! Those crooks at Fantastic Sam's want like $12 to cut my hair. Shoot my clippers paid for themselves in 3.1 months. Ha, thrifty see.

And the topper, I figured it all out on Friday night/Saturday morning as I was packing my car to meet my friends at 4:30 AM to run in the woods. As I was leaving the house at 3:30 AM my across the street neighbors were still partying on. Music blaring. People drinking on the porch. It hit me like a salami (hard!), as I used my running hat with the light built in I stared down at my combination water belt/fanny pack.... "I am not a NERD! I am a GEEK!"

Then why am I so happy? As my BLF said, "What do you care; you still get to kiss the girl?"

Call me what you wish, as long as I can kiss the girl, that's kool enough for me!

8 comments:

Star said...

Let's see what Urban Dictionary has to say on the topic:

Geek: An outwardly normal person who has taken the time to learn technical skills. Geeks have as normal a social life as anyone, and usually the only way to tell if someone is a geek is if they inform you of their skills.

Nerd: A socially awkward person who has learned technical skills due to the spare time they enjoy from being generally neglected. Their technical knowledge then leads normies to neglect them even further, leading to more development of their technical skills, more neglection, etc. This vicious cycle drives them even more into social oblivion.

(And just in case...)

Dork: A person who, although also socially awkward, doesn't have the intelligence to fill the void with technical pursuits, like a nerd, and is forced to do mindless activities. Almost always alone. Usually with an XBox. Like playing Halo. All day. Every day. Not even understanding how the Xbox is making the pretty pictures on the screen. Very sad.

Chase Squires said...

you can't be a nerd or a geek, I mean, you hang out with me! By association, that makes you cool. (Sure I can't lure you out here Oct. 17-18 for the 24 Hours of Boulder? ... all the cool kids are doing it!)

The Professor said...

i would chime in here, but im way too busy popping the blisters on my feet while i go on match.com to see if i can find that perfect somebody to be my crew and pacer at badwater...oh, and let me know if you happen to find my "magic the gathering" cards anywhere, i think i left them at radio shack.

star - way to use those peer reviewed sources to make your point.

Star said...

I love the UD, Professor. And you know I said I'd love to be your crew at Badwater...mostly because I'd LOVE to see you suffer for 135 miles!

Anonymous said...

You get to kiss "The" girl. so what do you:
1. Have Jet-Greek Hair?
2. Have a bevy (that's a lot AndyGeekMan)of women?
3. Have thighs of shaped steel, calves of pig-iron, bicepts that can crack a diamond?

I think that's a no, no, no, and yeah right NO!

You are a geek, and I'm

-Dean Karnzes

Mr. Matt said...

Hey Dean, Harsh man harsh.

Like I said, call me what you wish, but I'd trade your "bevy" for my one BLF.

Andy M
(I wouldn't mind having that 6-pack though, my keg is tough to get up Green Gate at Western States, er, that's right, sorry you had already dropped!)

Chase Squires said...

So did somone tell you posting a blog item once every 10 days was fine? Huh? Did they? They were wrong ... buster.

Star said...

I know he's alive, because I saw him today!