Sunday, August 2, 2009

Get Lost!

Everybody can get lost. In fact, everybody SHOULD get lost! That's what I'm saying.

It was a blessing in disguise when both my running partners chose to sleep in this morning and I found myself at Croom solo this morning. I figured this was a chance to get in a run at my own pace (aka, walk whenever I felt like it without any pressure to pick it up from some pain in the neck who actually wants to get in shape!)

So I set off on the Yellow trail, it's only 12 miles instead of the usual 15. I also decided to run that trail in the reverse direction than I normally do. I don't often run this trail and every once in a while I get lost when I do. This morning about 6 miles into the trail I realized I had somehow, some where got turned around and ended retracing about 3 miles. Darn, I didn't have enough water to run the complete the course, so I decided to take a short cut.

And you guessed it, I got lost. I mean I knew basically where I was, and I knew which way to go when/if I hit one of the regular trails, so I wasn't too worried. I came upon a jeep road on which I had never run and shortly into it I was treated to the loveliest view I've ever seen out there. Hey this is nice I thought. Soon after that I happened upon a secret fort (I'm sure whoever built it thinks it's secret and hopes it stays that way.) The fort was really cool. Wind chimes, sculptures, cow bones, little hidey holes all over. It was fun.

Soon I did intersect with the orange trail hung a left and was back at my car after a beautiful, fun two-hour run. I took a day that could have been a drag, running alone and made it fun. How did I do it? By getting lost. So to all of you, GET LOST!

5 comments:

Star said...

I hope to be getting lost in the trails next weekend :)

Chase Squires said...

How on earth can you get lost out there? YOU've been running it for years!

Mr. Matt said...

well, er, I was running the yellow trail, don't often run it, and I was running in the opposite direction, and I wasn't so much lost as I ended up back where I had already been, and then I just started taking random trails, so, er, that's how

Chase Squires said...

Heh, if I took random trails out hee I'd be paying a pretty hefty search and rescue bill ...

superdave524 said...

Your godson's school commissioned a study on what "Sewanee" meant. Apparently in Choctaw it meant "Lost". I always thought it meant "fog". 'Course, the Sewanee years included a lot of lost weekends.