Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Our Favorite Hobby

It's no wonder that every year when school starts I put on a few LB's. We have this kind of junk
in the faculty lounge almost every day. Usually I say, "No thank you." Matter of fact, I almost always say, "Thanks anyhow, but I'm doing this thing where I want to live."

What the heck is wrong with us in the US? Why do we do this to ourselves? Doughnuts? Cookies? And lots. Fast food? Fried Food. Guys, (me) it'll plain old kill you!
I'm going to say no to crap!
It's no coincidence that back in 2005 when I ran sub 24 at WS, which is much harder than running 21 at Umstead, I didn't eat ANY of that crap. I was dating an MD and she was the best cook, and she only cooked healthful stuff.
Any way, I'm getting back that healthy lifestyle. I'm running the Black Hill 100 in June and I'd like to do well. That means no doughnut, no overeating, and being cool.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two Words: Dean's Healthy Chips

-Dean Karnazes

Mr. Matt said...

Dean, I would, but surprisingly no one in the great World area carries them!

superdave524 said...

I actually had a donut discussion with some peers today. Not too long back I read "Younger Next Year" written by a retired trial attorney and a doctor. A few tips for living longer and better: exercise 20-45 minutes vigorously 5-6 times a week every week for the rest of your life; stay connected with people (whether it's through "saves the whales", going to church, or your weekly runs with your ultra-running buddies); drink only in moderation; and don't eat crap. Sounds like you got it knocked.

Star said...

The only time I eat donuts is when I'm wondering the rocky roads of Arkansas at 4AM...and I and chase them with a PBR.

But next time instead of using a plate, I'll borrow your Rocky Roads buckle.

Mr. Matt said...

Star, you could eat a dozen doughnuts on that buckle!

SuperDave, it's a struggle, always a struggle. On my own, I'd never eat that crap, but when it's there...