Friday, June 29, 2007

Failure? No, Starting Point!

Many of my friends think I'm already in good shape, and they may be right, I am in good physical shape for everyday life. But running 4x 100 Mile mountain trail races in four months requires that I be in great shape compared to those who run 100 mile races, not just to my friends. Were the grand slam to occur tomorrow or in 4 months, I would fail, no question. No false modesty, just fact.

Yesterday was my first day of official training. I had a simple workout planned, I thought it was a good place to start (i was right about that), I also thought I would accomplish it with ease (i was sadly mistaken about that!). I'll not kid you, I didn't mind being knocked down to size, I believe I needed it and I believe it will help me focus on areas of need.

Before the training started I was going to the gym almost daily. At the gym I would use the stair-stepper and the treadmill. This machine emphasize my strengths, cardiovascular endurance and the love of a good sweat! Not once did I do weight training, and the one time I started doing Abs I quickly ABandoned the exercise, claiming to be too sweaty.

Well, I promised I would do Abs and weight train. Yesterday's workout was basic:
5 Sets of 20 of crunches, 5 sets of 20 of calve raises, 5 sets of 20 squats, and 5 sets of 20 hamstring curls. I failed to accomplish all of these (except the squats, which were no problem) exercises even though I used modest weights. Here's what I accomplished:
Crunches, 20 X 3, 18 X 1, 15 X 1. Just a few short, but I want to get to 500 a day, long way.
Squats, 20 X 5 with 125 pounds (Devils Thumb and Hope Pass will need more than that!)
Calves, 17 at 155 #, 18 at 125#, 17 at 105, 20 at 95#, 17 at 95#. Those calves burn going uphill, on Monday, I'll try lower weight and complete all 5 sets!
Hamstring Curls: 15 at 65 #, 20 X 4 at 50 #. On Monday I'll try 5 X 20 at 50#.

So there you have it, I will have to do more work on my weakness and not neglect my strengths (I like throwing sweat on all the folks near my treadmill!)

Also, today I road the mountain bike here to the library, remember I've started riding, walking, or running on all possible errands of 6 miles or less round trip. Well the Library is 2 miles away and the ride wasn't easy! Granted my bike is stuck in a high gear so it requires some torque, but still, it's 2 miles!

Hey, yall be good, and feel free to help me with advice on the weights, I aint to Schwatzenhagger!
AndyMan

2 comments:

GatorFan said...

Just wanted to use this public forum to say a word or two of encouragement to AndyMan.

I'd bet a veggie burger that, apart from his brother, I've known Andy longer than anybody who's likely to be reading this. Andy and I go WAY back. We used to run together starting about 20 years ago and I knew him almost 10 years before that. He was always a step or two (hunred) quicker than I was but at least I was close enough to see him cross the finish line on the shorter races. That was a LONG time ago.

The difference between the two of us is that I pretty much stopped serious running a few years ago just about the time he decided to take it to the next level. What he's doing now is nothing short of amazing.

Serious runners just come to expect that non-runners won't understand what a marathon (or more) is like. But what does it say when a veteran of 14 marathons thinks that what you're doing is insane? Your task over the next year is inspiring. I wish I could join you. I'll follow your blog from my computer at work (probably more than my boss would prefer). I'll be with you in spirit.

In the middle of my difficult long runs (back "in the day") I'd remember some of my more memorable runs with AndyMan (the Columbus Marathon, the McDill Half Marathon, the Brooksville Flatlanders Challenge or even a few loops around the Carrolwood golf courses). Those memories would pick me up.

I hope that when your training gets tough (notice I said "when", not "if"), you'll remember those same runs we took together.

Good Luck, my friend. I will think of you often.

Steve

P.S. If I got a cookie, you got half.

Mr. Matt said...

Steve, My Brother!

Do I rememberate? Of course! Running Cheval and bouncing a golf ball on the cart paths the entire way! Running the Veterens Expressway before it opened! Running the New York Marathon. You've got another one in you, and I want to be there when (notice I said when, not if!) it comes out!
AndyMan