Thursday, June 28, 2007

Yes, Do get Tired!

I expect to get tired in my Grand Slam quest, which starts today. An attempt to do what only two from Florida have done before, and to be honest, an attempt to do it faster than either of them. Here's a few of the changes for the year:
1. As you know, no meat (except after completion of a 100 mile or longer run, then only a Nobleton Burger)
2. No driving to work, only running or biking (unless I have to transport my daughter, safety won't allow me to tow her on the bike, Tampa is already the MOST dangerous city in the USA for bikers.)
3. Add Weight training, first session today (yuck, I hate weight training!)
4. No complaining! This is my choice, I have no right to complain about it!
5. Yes, Do get tired! This does not merely mean "want to take a nap tired." This one is born from recent correspondence with an acquaintance in California who finished the tough Western States 100 Endurance Run when many faster, younger runners were unable to. How did the 45-Year Old Leigh (though she looks and runs 10 Years younger) accomplish this feat? She did it by asking herself how can I do this? She didn't ask why she couldn't. She prepared for success. For more information, check out her blog at: http://turborunz.blogspot.com/ The most telling picture in her blog is of her running up a mountain trail while dragging a car or truck tire behind her. Have I ever cared enough about anything in my life to apply that type of dedication? I can't remember when I ever have. I vow to "get tired" during my quest.

All of us should take something important to us and treat it as so important that we are willing to "get tired" over it! Congratulations Leigh, you have inspired me!

AndyMan

7 comments:

superdave524 said...

Aiight, you've inspired me. I hereby vow to complete a marathon in Austin, TX, in Feb 08. Starting at a svelte 235 lbs, I may have to shed a small child's worth of weight to do it, but there you are. Do I get a belt buckle if I finish in less than a day?

Barbara S said...

Go Dave! I'll personally steal one of Andy's belt buckles and give it to you when you finish. I'm right there with you. I am running the Disney Marathon in January.

Mr. Matt said...

To my brother Dave Mathews (spelled correctly, not the S.African way!), and my good friend Barbara, you guys inspire me! I will never forget the day I started running, those 4-Miles were harder than any miles since. You can do it!
AndyMan

Rebekx said...

Way to go to both Barb and Dave...I am so impressed that you have both agreed to come towards the "dark side" of running...where you start hearing rumors of "crazy" whispered behind your back...Barbara-Disney is lots of fun but dont go in those pretty bushes while waiting for the 6am start. They are stocked full of stickers...unless you can learn the Elaine method of trail squatting (no squatting involved :)

leigh said...

good luck andyman! you too can be the proud owner of a TIRE!

superdave524 said...

Thanks, Barbara. I'd ask you to lift some of Andy's cash as well, but Lydia's kids never have any!

superdave524 said...

And Becky, I've been hearing voices for years...