Thursday, July 5, 2007

Shoot, Those Folks are Zainy, Nutty, Crazy, Fools!

"So, what did you do for the 4th?"

"Oh man, it was great, I had the day off (I'm a teacher on summer break, I have everyday off!) I slept in (from 8 PM - 11:45 PM on the third.) I met some friends at 2 AM and we stayed out all night and partied till 1 PM."

No, I haven't given up my grand slam quest and turned into a party animal. The friends I met are also ultrarunners. At 2 AM Becky, Woody, and I met up at Croom Forest and by 2:13 Am we had started our 45-mile run.

It broke down like this: 2:13 - 5:10 AM 17 miles on the dirt roads
5:10- 5:40 Bathroom-Food-Drink Break,
5:40- 8:30 15-mile Orange Trail Loop
8:30- 8:45 Food and Drink Break
8:45- 11:15 13-mile Orange-Blue-Orange Loop.

The highlight of the run was during our road portion when a well-meaning local came by in a Jeep (only vehicle we saw on our 3-hours on the road) and asked if we were alright. Are we alright? Well it's 3 AM and we're in the middle of no-kinda-where with lights on our heads carrying several pounds of water and food. Furthermore, we going to be doing this for 8 more hours. Are we alright? As Marseilles Wallace says in Pulp Fiction, "No we're pretty F'ing far from alright!" But only years of intensive therapy can help us!

I'll tell you what though, the 4th taught me some stuff.
John "Woody" Wood, is the toughest man alive! After a horrible experience less than two weeks ago at Western States where he was forced to drop after running 56 miles in the mountains, he was back at it for 45 of the most humid miles imaginable. We are thrilled to learn that Woody will be joining us in Vermont. He'll finish, and I'll bet all takers he runs it in under 24 hours.

Becky Diange is once more the greatest runner I know. Back in 2004 we ran the GEER 100K together, and she was in fantastic shape and I believed then she was as good a runner as I know. Well, she got married, and now she does married people stuff, and she hasn't concentrated as much on running (one day, I'm going to try that getting a life thing, I hope it's not too long from now!). Anyway, since she decided to do Vermont, she has worked very hard and she is ready! She handled yesterday's run like a champ. It will be my honor to run with her at Vermont, I only hope I can keep up. Another bet, Becky will finish and run well, I take any action and give odds on that one!

Ok, my hour at the library is up, I'll post again tomorrow.

In the mean time, happy 5th I guess.
AndyMan

6 comments:

Rebekx said...

What were you doing taking a full 30 minute break after a measely 17 miles???? you can't afford that in vermont!! :)
You are so funny..in defense of getting married and turning to MUSH..I just want to say that I did complete at least 4 marathons in the past couple of years (one on my honeymoon!!)
Thank God the body is forgiving and I have been able to fight my way back into shape!
I do want to say though, THANK YOU, THANK YOU..for running all those miles in the dark (and in the light) It isnt just any Joe Bag O Donuts who could PACE someone in a 100 mile run :)
We HAVE to get that camera out of the honda next time...

Rebekx said...

oh yeah..welcome to Barbara as the official crew chief for Andy in Vermont! Really glad to hear she is making the trip but Barbara, you HAVE to stay at the campsite on Friday!! Cancel that hotel reservation!!

Mr. Matt said...

I have good news, I canceled the Mt. Ascutney Mountain Resort Villa for Friday night. I have more good news, I am camping on Friday night. I have news that isn't really that great (but I totally understand it and it doesn't upset me, I am in support of it) Joe won't have any crew help from Seminole Heights. I do support the decision, plus, Joe likes to do his thing unimpeded, and that's cool.

As for 30 Minute breaks, I wrote up a piece on that, but it really made me look like an anal jerk, so I nixed that particular portion.

Chase Squires said...

"anal jerk" ... is that like "jerk chicken?" ... if it is, I don't think I want any.

Rock and roll in VT, looking forward to our measly Leadville 50k next week and just now starting to forment a plan for a run up Longs Peak at the Rocky Mountain National Park in August, the snow should be melted by then, and the first new snowfall should be weeks away.

Hat is off to Woody, bummer at WS, but VT is a fine qualifier for next year :-)

chase

Rebekx said...

Ang:ahhh..thats too bad. is the 15 miler on Sunday at Croom or flatwoods?
Joe could have used the help!

superdave524 said...

Anal Jerk Chicken? Is that Jamaican or Haitian?