Monday, July 9, 2007

The Taper #1

One of the things I hate about running races, as opposed to just running, is tapering. I don't like it at all, though I find it very valuable.

On July 21 a great crew from Tampa Bay is going to Vermont, and I am among them (well not right now, but I'm running the race, you know what I mean.) John Wood is trying for a little redemption from Western States (he doesn't need any, but he feels he does, and I understand that) Jon Docs is going (he could win the stinking race if he let me train him, but he likes his lifestyle, and I don't blame him), and Becky Diange is going for her first 100 miler, I predict great things for her race, she's a rock. Anyway, we all have one thing in common, about now we start going crazy because the running is over. Oh sure, we'll buzz around the neighborhood from time to time, but our recent 90 mile week will dwindle to about 20 this week, next week it'll be a scant 10 before the big race. It will be particularly tough for me to back off because my daughter Ali and I will be on vacation in North Carolina and I will get to see the mountains, and we will do a little hiking, but I'll have to refrain from too much running. I get antsy during the taper, but it does work. I know the taper is working when I feel fat and slow before the race, but then the feeling melts away as we start the actual race.

Vermont is one of the grand slam races, though this year's version isn't in the my grand slam. I just like the race, plus I like their charity, the Vermont Adaptive Ski and Sports. Ali and have made more than 100 "Don't Quit" bracelets and sold them, donating $500 to the VASS.

Ok, I'll be on Vacation without a Hillsborough County Public Library, nor my own computer at my disposal, so, the blog will be inactive until next Saturday, July 14, but please feel free to post and I'll comment upon my return.

2 comments:

Roger Sutton said...

Hey Andy, just a quick comment on tapering. I have tried it a lot of different ways but, lately, I've cut back on the amount of taper. Almost training normally to within a couple of days of the race. This year, 9 days before the Croom 50, Chris Wedge and I ran a pretty tough 5 hours on the AT, twice over Blood Mountain. I did another tough run 6 days before Croom. On race day, I felt strong from beginning to end and achieved my goal of breaking 7 hours. I do taper, but not nearly as much as you're describing. My last 2 weeks, coming off of 90 mile weeks in lead up training, would only drop to 65 or 70. Any more than that and I feel lathargic and, strangely, if I taper to much I tend to get sick, sore throat, colds, that type of stuff. When I train through, it doesn't happen. Also, how many times have you had a great training day in the middle of a long month, with no taper at all. Just back off on the long run the two weekends before the race and take the last 3 days easy but not off (light jogging).

Do what works for you before Vermont. This is NOT the week to try something different. However, in the future, before a less important race, try a reduced taper and see how it feels.

Of course, all this is the opinion of an expert 100 mile racer. 0 lifetime finishes in 0 lifetime attempts. A perfect record so far.

Mr. Matt said...

Roger,
You know, I really don't like to taper, and I don't always do it. One week Before my 2nd Vermont I ran the Grandfather Mountain Marathon in N.C. It's billed as one of America's toughest marathons, well, I ran a PR at Vermont. However, the extra running can't physically help and sometimes can hurt, but I don't think moderate running is bad, I will do that.

Gawd I hope you can make it back, I'd love to see you win one of these races. Let's face it, I'm not fast (I don't mind, I'm steady) and if I can finish top 10...
AndyMan