Tuesday, August 21, 2007

It Aint Fair, but it is Scary!


Well, tough news from Leadville.


My great friend Chrissy (Xy) Weiss (on left being groped by Western States founder, Gordy Ansleigh) was on track to do the Grand Slam plus 2 this summer. She had completed Western States with 20 minutes to spare. She had completed Vermont with 25 minutes to spare (even though she had taken the Red-Eye from CA on Thursday night/Friday morn). Chrissy has completed more than 20 100-milers in the last three years. She knows how to hang tough. In addition to all of this running she manufactures and sells all of those Dirty-Girl Gaiters that we love. All of this while working full-time as an assistant DA in Southern California. Any way, Chrissy's attempt at the Slam was waylayed at Leadville, she dropped at mile 50.


Another acquaintance, Don Halke, whom Becky and I ran with at Vermont, was also delayed at Leadville. Don was raising money for cancer research in his quest. He had a great crew with him at Vermont. He had finished Western States with 20 minutes to spare and Vermont with 30 minutes to spare. Don made it to mile 70 before he had to drop.
Besides Chrissy and Don, many others are out. The 2007 version started with 29 attempting to complete the Slam. Of those 29........... 13 are left. Of the 16 that have dropped, 10 of them dropped out at Leadville (5 at States, and 2 at Vermont.) Most runners agree that the toughest race is yet to come, Wasatch.

I TOLD YOU GUYS this is tough.

I'm thinking if I don't at least have a 4-hours of cushion at Western States, Leadville will be too tough. I need to drop a good 20 pounds to be capable of this. That being said, other than my post-Vermont burger, and one-bite of a sandwich while tubing on Sunday, I've been meat-free since June 28. I've also been virtually french fry free (that's a toughie). Still, I haven't lost any weight. That's ok, I've got time.

So, when I think about the task ahead, it's a little hard for me to be amazed at the 23-Miler that I did with you guys at Croom on Saturday. Yes, the run was very easy for me (until the hill repeats with Chris Wedge, yeah, he's 10-Years younger and a lot faster than me). Barb is a very sane and sweet person, she is amazed that I can easily run a marathon at the drop of a hat (as long as it's cool, and as long as you don't put a pesky five-hour limit on me). But when I look at what's ahead, a marathon seems like what it must seem like to me, if I am to succeed, it seems easy. It seems like 1/4 of the distance I need for 1/4 of the races I need to complete. On Saturday, I felt I could have easily run another 23 miles, geez, that would only leave me 54 miles short! And that wasn't in the cards. Like Woody said at the Vermont 100, "This makes that 45-mile training run we did seem like nothing."


However, I am not discouraged, not even a little bit. While I love Chrissy, she doesn't have the speed that I do (my speed isn't great, but I believe it's plenty to finish each of the races.) While Don seemed like a nice guy, he had very little experience in ultras and probably attempted the Slam too soon in his career. I am not discouraged, but I more than ever believe it will take a lot of luck, and that I have to go in to this task in the best shape of my life, this will be more of a challenge than I originally thought it would be. Being honest, I was naive.

7 comments:

superdave524 said...

You are also amazingly dedicated.

Mr. Matt said...

Yeah, why couldn't I have been a dedicated accountant? "Oh, boy, I love tax season!"

Or a dedicated brain surgeon,"Well I guess I have time to lop the top off of one more head before I call it a day!"

Or a dedicated plumber, "Well, I guess I can clean a couple of more pipes before I take off the low-riding Dickies and call it a day!"

But nooooo, it had to be trail-running!

Such is life.

Chase Squires said...

As a Leadville DNF I can speak with authority :-) ... the trail is actually very runnable except for the backside of Hope Pass, which is a lot of scree and pretty steep and crowded with the returning runners coming up as you go down .... but I firmly believe, anyone capable of running 24 at WS can run under 30 at PBville, you can do this. The advantage at Lville is the last 13 miles back are rolling and relatively flat, you can make up a lot of time if you push.

Hey, now it's your turn to tell me, how did you get those "blogroll" attachments (links to other blogs) on your site? I'd like to try it....

Chase

Rebekx said...

Your new picture ...I recognize the infamous "jacket" you are wearing (it has been passed around!) So, it must be you...but why do you guys look like a couple of fat elves?? hehe! More hill repeats drill sgt!!

Mr. Matt said...

Unbelievable, no one corrected my math. 5 drop at States, 2 drop at Vermont and 10 drop at Leadville, how many stops did the train make?

Hey, fat elves, that's the nicest thing you've ever said to Gordy! I don't know why the picture did that, the original looks fine. And you are right, that's me in the tell tale jacket. You're funny.

superdave524 said...

That Great Western States guy does sorta look like the Burger King, doesn't he? Steve, you out there?

GatorFan said...

I'm here, SuperD. Just readin', not writtin'. Nuttin much to say.

My current efforts to run again and drop some lbs. seem insignificant in this group, so I kinda keep it to myself. I'm still at it but this forum isn't about me. Maybe I'll start my own and call it "In the Fridge". Kinda catchy, huh?