Friday, August 3, 2007

You Don't Spit in to the Wind!




Hey Jim, I agree, you don't spit into the wind, but rule #3, you do run in to the wind!




Ok, I have to do this every year, rules for running in Florida during our 9 month summer season:

Rule #1: 7/7 It's Hot out there! You should start all of your runs before 7 AM or after 7 PM. Understandably, if you are training for an ultra race, you can't always stick to this, but you should try.

Rule #2: Watch for traffic! Florida is the least state for pedestrians and bicyclists, Tampa Bay is the least safe area in Florida. Florida not the home of old people, it's the home of the parents of the old people! Guess what? They still drive! It's crazy, in the state where the average age is "near dead" it seems like we never have to renew our driver's licenses. I can't remember the last time I had to renew my license, or even take an eye test. I have moved 3 or 4 times in the last few years, I just go on-line shoot them my new address, and viola, a new license comes. Guys, I'm 45, my eye sight isn't even close to what it was 5 years ago, but I haven't had to get any glasses to keep driving. Personally, I run on the trails almost exclusively. But when I'm out there dodging Dodges, I've got my eyes wide open!

Rule #3: Run into the Wind when you are fresh. Aint much of a thing worse then taking off on a run full of enthusiasm, feeling like the Rock charging up those museum steps, knowing you were a Kenyan whose was switched at birth and then..... you turn around, you're miles from home and the wind hits you smack in the face, and you have to keep looking behind you to see if perhaps you are dragging a refrigerator behind you. So make sure you start dragging the refrigerator and end up feeling like a Kenyan, it'll help you come back for more.


Rule #4: Keep at it, the summer doesn't last forever, it only seems that way!

I think I can catch the old codger!

2 comments:

Chase Squires said...

Or, you could always move to, say, Colorado?

When it gets too warm here for a comfortable long run, we just drive a little higher into the mountains ...

Mr. Matt said...

NO Way I'm moving to Colorado! What do you want, to have me win one of those races? No one wants to be in that good of a shape!