Friday, August 17, 2007

Nobody Gets Hi Anymore!

I remember, way back when I used to run around Tampa, Florida when two runners would pass each other they would exchange cordial hello's. Me, I was always a "Howdy" guy myself. The unusual thing was when a runner lumbered on by and didn't say anything. Boy, that used to TORQUE ME OFF! I took that junk personally. Now I wasn't as bad as my old running buddy Mike Boza, I remember a runner snubbing us one day and Mike was dog-cussing the old fool, I hadda hold him back or it could have gotten much worse.

Now, we runners, we never exchange verbal greetings anymore. We do however give a slight wave as we pass. Still we are better than cyclists. When I was a novice cyclist I used to greet fellow pedal-pusher with a howdy, and I'd be lucky to get that standard cyclist wave, four fingers extended downward from the unmoving hand positioned on the handlebars. That's what you get from a "friendly " cyclist. An unfriendly one won't even nod. And triathletes, forget about those guys, they are the least friendly lot I've ever seen. I know that's harsh, but it's true. My friends Chris and Deborah Wedge have a rule (which I also follow), no matter how hot it is, no matter how long they've been running, no matter how steep a hill is, when they come upon a triathlete they absolutely do not walk. Can't give those turkeys the satisfaction of seeing a runner walk. They already think they are better than us, can't give them anymore ammunition!

................. Don't Expect this Cat to Wave, He Won't!..............

So, you know that now days we barely acknowledge each other on the roads. Imagine my surprise as I was giving a polite little wave to a fellow pedestrian, and was greeted with an actual "Hello." For a second I hardly knew what to do. I stammered and returned a "er, a hi" to my brother in New Balance. Later during that same run I was really hitting a groove. I was moving and I barely had time to wave to the runner coming at me. Well, waving wasn't good enough for this harrier, he busts out the, "How you doing?" This time, I was ready, "Let me tell you, I'm doing GREAT!"

Maybe it was just for today, but it was so good to have the salutations back in the running. Next time you are out there pounding the pavement or traversing the trails, give them the old fashioned "Howdy."
..
Today's Workout: 5 Miles, 5:30 AM, 80 degrees, I felt great!
Tomorrow: 20 - 25 Croom. 5:30 AM start.

9 comments:

superdave524 said...

HOWDY!

Mr. Matt said...

Yessah! Er, though I did mean while you were out there running and saw another Hombre or Hombrette chuggin along.

Chase Squires said...

I'm lookin' at the picture of you in the American River, whatdya mean "buritto not pictured?" I see it, down there by the waterline .... oh, wait, my bad.

Chase Squires said...

Hey, Andy, you gotta check out the blog item on my climb up Mt. Evans.

What was I thinking??

http://dirtyrunningthoughts.blogspot.com

Just the other day I was thinking, "hmm, Hardrock, how hard could it be?"

Oh.

Mr. Matt said...

chaser,
I can't comment on the burrito because Barb reads this every once in awhile, and I have your blog address posted in my links.
I'm going there n-o-w.

Just me said...

Andy,
You've got it ALL wrong. It's the roadies that are rude. Tri-geeks are really a pretty friendly sort. Really.

superdave524 said...

No one gets "hi"? Check out the worst mascot ever, South Park's own Towlie.

superdave524 said...

All right, AndyMan. You know that there are those of us who are living vicariously through you. Three days is a little much. Are these excused absences?

Mr. Matt said...

Hey Just Me,
(thinking this is Candi) but go do a tri with the Mad Dogs sometime and report back to me. They may be friendly to each other, or it just may be the Mad Dogs that need an attitude adjustment, but I wouldn't spit on one of them if they were on fire! OK, maybe I would, after all, I'm a trail runner, and we're a friendly lot (except when we are cussing out 10 year old volunteers or threatening to pound a fellow runner).