Thursday, February 14, 2008

King of... Prince of.... JBOD of the Hill!

I thought I was this guy:Turns out I was wrong!

I've been doing my little Hill Kings. The other day I made my Track Team run up and over that bridge 6 times. It was a three mile workout, not that long, but you must keep in mind the longest race in High School track is 2 miles, and none of it on bridges. Anyway, the MLK bridge was easy on Monday. So, I'm thinking I need something that's more of a challenge.

Well, the most hillyous (it's a real word) portion of central Florida is just up the road a piece in San Antonio. Tri-Geeks love to bike there, road runners love to run there (I did it for a few years, and that's when I qualified for the Bostonian), so I'm thinking, I've got to get up there and do some taining. Well it just so happens that a former student of mine plays basketball at St. Leo, right in the heart of "hill country" and he is the brother of a current student at TC (who happens to be in my top two favorite students ever!) See, the wheels turning.

St. Leo had a game last night, I went and sat with the Kaiser family (they paid for my ticket, I really like the Kaiser family!) as we watched Thomas seal the game for St. Leo against the SSC division leading Tampa Spartans. Way to go Thomas! He's #25, back row center. Read more here: http://saintleolions.athleticsite.com/article.asp?articleID=760
Well, before the game I met up with Julie Wong at her estate just 5-10 minutes form St. Leo and I ran those big old hills, and I am not the king of the hill, as a matter of fact I had to walk the big hill two of the four times I ran it (granted once was for Julie's sake and once was for the dogs) still none of those four times was easy or fun like the MLK Bridge. That's ok, it was a great 10 mile hill workout, and those aren't supposed to be easy. Also, the MLK Bridge wasn't easy or fun a month ago, so if I can make it out to run those "Big" Hills a few times, pretty soon I will be this guy.......
But then I'll go to Western States, and those hills are called mountains, and I'll just be a regular Joe Bag of Doughnuts again. I'm ok with that!

10 comments:

Star said...

Well seeing that you ran on *Ft. King* road, I guess the name is somewhat appropriate. I'm glad you finally got the KotH reference.

Mr. Matt said...

Yeah, yeah, you don't have to Not beat me over the head. You only have tell me that my backside looks very lovely.

Chase Squires said...

I used to run that horseshoe at St. Leo U pretty regularly, just park at the university, and run down one hill, up the next, turn around and do it again ... whee.

I hear your cell phone ringing, it's Colorado calling ... "come out and run some hills" it's saying!

Star said...

Chase, being in the beer capitol, do you do "Beer Kings?"

Anonymous said...

Hay, nice spectacals, too bad you don't have any testicals!

And you would care about your backside, I bet you like it alot.

Mr. Matt said...

Ok, that's not SuperDave nor is it Chase, both of them guys realize that I don't wear glasses. That's actually paintbrush at work, because the Hank Hill picture had glasses.

But Anon, you make me feel good, I'm proud of my paintbrush :-)

kate said...

Okay, now I think I know where you teach. Is it a secret? One of my best friends from high school and the first few years of college - his dad teaches there. Or used to.

superdave524 said...

Kate, A-Man couldn't disguise where he taught if he wanted to. His students always tell the world. My oldest looked up a face-book site dedicated to Andy from his last job at Jesuit, and it had, like 150 contributors or so. Andy swears that most of the stories aren't true (But then, so does Roger Clemons).

Mr. Matt said...

Ok, the story with cross bow going off in the room and the arrow sticking into the electrical socket, true.

The rest are false (or false-ish)

Kate, what's Dad's name, I predy well know most of them folks after dos anos there.

kate said...

You must be a hoot in the classroom.

Mr. Carney. Heck of a nice guy. His son was a great friend. For years. And never laid a hand on me.