Friday, November 2, 2007

A 00 Of Which to be Proud!

The other day I was lamenting on a runner going anything :01. Oh how could you do that, I asked.

Well last night was our teams district meet. We came in second place, we had a runner that had the opportunity to go :59, and went :00. We had another runner that was close to :59 and ran :04. But the :00 and the :04 were in serious danger of being :59's, the clock turned on some runners fighting against it.

I've never been happier with anyone's effort, myself included, than I was last night. Never!

Our team was like me at mile 80 in Arkansas. I was running next to that dude, and I dropped the hammer on him. I was flying, I put him away..... for awhile. Turns out this dude was faster than me, I couldn't control that, I knew I'd done all I could, and he was just faster. Our girls, dropped the hammer on 15 schools last night, 14 of them stayed down, and one school, the Academy of Holy Names, was just faster. They trained well, they ran well, and we couldn't control that. We could only do our best, and I KNOW we did that! Almost every one of the girls ran personal bests. The girl that, a gritty freshman, that ran 22:00 finished 13th overall, and hit the finish line in a dead sprint. She was GOING for the :59, she was still lobbying me for it after the race...

"What was that coach, 21:58?"

"No, Jo-Jo, it was 22 flat."

"Coach, it had to be under 22:00."

"Ok, I'll give you :59"

Well I did, but the scorers weren't so kind, they only saw the clock, I saw the runner.

Way to go team! I'm so proud!

6 comments:

superdave524 said...

Sounds like you've got a really special group of runners there, AndyMan.

Mr. Matt said...

Dave,
These girls tell Coach Morejon and I "thank you" after every practice. Imagine doing that with Kolinski, he'd have thought we were crazy! The girls are A #1. I'll forward you the e-mail that one sent to me, it is worth more than the $60 stipend the school pays me to coach.

Chase Squires said...

What's this "fast" running you speak of? What's the hurry?

-- way to go, coach.

Arlene said...

Sounds like they ALL had "Don't Quit" bracelets around their wrists.

I know that Coach Mathews had his on...;)

And YOU didn't either!

Barbara S said...

Great job, Andy. Your kids are lucky to have such an amazing coach.

Mr. Matt said...

Ah, thanks yall. It really is worth it, what we educators and volunteers do, things like this just reminds us of that.