Wednesday, November 21, 2007

All That, Er, Hold the Chips!

You Aint All That and a Bag of Chips!

Well, you may be, but I aint all that and a bag of chips. Just when you think it's your 15-minutes, reality slaps you right in the grille!

I'll admit it, I was getting a little too big for my britches. Ricky Howe, the excellent co-race director at http://www.tamparaces.com/ called me a running legend (he did qualify that with "granted local-legend") and then that cat from Wisconsin wanted some autographed pictures after he read my M & B article about Arkansas (still haven't been paid for that), and then I did perdy good at Arkansas again this year. And there was the article in the widely circulated "Town & Country" Neighborhood supplement of the neighborhood paper (well, I read it, I think I still have a few hundred copies if you want one), about me being the 2006 MUT Runner of the year. And Roger Sutton, maybe the fastest dude in Marion County and all parts south, asked me for a quote for an article in Ocala Style. And darn it, well, I WAS feeling perdy good.

Then, my department head at school asks me to do this race (Ancient Oaks 100) to collect pledges for Literacy Leads to Hope (come-one guys, send me a ducat or two, my department head is on me!) so, it's for Kenya and they asked "Kenya?" and I Ken, so I say I will. Well, to enter Ancient Oaks, requires a phone call (gosh I'd rather e-mail) to the benevolent Stu Gelman. Michael Melton had sent out a note with Stu's number in case we wanted to run. Well, I didn't necessarily want to run, but I said I would, so I call Stu.

Gelman Answers: Hello, this is Stu.
Mathews Chirps: Stu, this is Andy Mathews
Gelman Asks: Do, I know you?
Mathews Answers Sheepishly: Er, no, not exactly. But do you read Marathon and Beyond?
Gelman says: Never heard of it.
Mathews asks: Er, how about the Town & Country Neighbor?
Gelman responds: Is that the suburban Tampa local supplement?
Mathews excitedly says: YES! That's it.
Gelman: Never heard of it!
Gelman Questions: Well, what can I do you for?
Mathews Responds: I kinda wanted to run your race at Ancient Oaks.
Gelman Inquires: Why should I let you in?
Mathews Exclaims: Well, I let your brother run the Croom 50 K after it was sold out.
Gelman Exclaims and asks: Sucker! That's Michael, why do I care?
Mathews Admits: I sorta told my boss that I'd raise some money for charity.
Gelman Asks Doubtfully: Ok, are you trained?
Mathews Wonders: I should be able to run it, yes.
Gelman Relents: Alright, you're in, see you on the 8th.
Mathews: (Silent Relief)

I guess local running-legend status doesn't get you out of the tri-county area. Oh, I am so way very OK with that. Besides, I don't even like Bags-O-Chips all that much!

7 comments:

Chase Squires said...

Hey, chip boy ... all that said, two things: One, you'll find Stu is one of the coolest guys in all of ultrarunning. His "no fee, no aid, no whiners" race actually includes tshirts, a great aid station stocked with awesome food and LOTS of whiners. And, no lie, figuring Monica is not in it this year, you actually (wait for it ....) could WIN this one. You're as fast as any of the entrants, and there's no reason you can't win it all ... go for it.

Mr. Matt said...

Chaser,
I was serious when I called Stu belevolent. I know he does this all for nothing, and I was not at all offended that even though I took good care of his bro, he didn't know me from Adam. He seemed cool and unassuming (hey, not my fault he doesn't read M & B!)
Also, I'll put you down for 10 cents a mile!

Chase Squires said...

Uh, yeah, see how that works for you :-)

Arlene said...

Dummy, you should have told Stooey that you were the second-year cross country coach at Tampa Catholic! That should have made a difference!

superdave524 said...

Are you gonna eat those chips?

Mr. Matt said...

Hey SuperDave,
Are you back from Potatoland? Wait, you can't see the Slam from Ireland can you? Who knew?

superdave524 said...

I can see the slam from Ireland, whenever I get the time and access to a computer. Love the 10 cent Euro on tomorrow's posting (we're a day ahead over here). I was wondering where it went.