Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I Forgot Again, but Then....


I Forgot Again, but then I remembered


As Don Rickles would say, "Dummy!" I'm such an idgit. You'd think that after 80 - 100 marathons, no I don't know the exact number, I'd remember that marathons are hard. But no, I should realize that Tommy Lee was right, Pam is a ... oh, wait, I mean that Tommy Lee Jones is right, "A person is smart, people are stupid, and you know it!"

Every once in a while I fall into this thing, where I believe people. I hear it all the time, "After a hunert miles, marathon's should be nothing." I know better. I should have listened to my friend Lynne:

"Are you taking tomorrow off? You are running a marathon after all."
Me, "Nah, it's only a marathon."

See, A person (Lynne) is smart, people, (me, you, all of us) are stupid!

Suffice it say that the X-Country Marathon in the beautiful Alafia State Park done me in! I'm sure a marathon would be nothing if I ran it like I do a hunert. But, I don't. I don't walk, I don't take time to eat and shoot the breeze. No, I run the whole thing. When my legs start to seize up, I think, well, it's only 5 more miles, how can I run 100 if I can't tough it out for 5 more miles. So, I tough it out, and when I'm done, I hurt .... a lot. And on Monday, I hurt .... a lot.

Yeah, marathons are nothing.... DUMMY!

6 comments:

Chase Squires said...

I still contend that course is long ...

Mr. Matt said...

Chase, I don't know if the course is long, but the race sure as shootin' is!

Roger Sutton said...

Having run the Alafia X-C Marathon in 2004 (or was it 2005?), I can say that the first loop appeared to be accuratly measured. The second loop, claimed to be a repeat of the first by race management, was most certainly LONG in my estimation. How do I know? Simple. It took me longer than the first loop. This is easy stuff to figure out.

Saturday night, I nearly fell victim to the same mental problem that afflicts Andy. "I did 15 miles yesterday and it only hurt for the last 5 miles," I thought. "This is JUST a marathon, no big deal, I'll just pop down there and knock it out." Luckily, my wife took a hard line on the whole deal and talked me out of it.

I played golf instead. Shot a 78 and did not hurt AT ALL on Monday.

My stupidity returned quickly with an online regestration for the Rocky Raccoon 100 in Feb. What a dope...

Arlene said...

Maybe it would have been easier for you to tough it out knowing that there was a beautiful water fountain waiting for you at Mile 26.0 to play in?

Still...kudos on another successful "training" run!

Mr. Matt said...

Lemme tell you about that fountain, it was calling, it was calling me, I went in. A little piece of heaven in the Palm Beaches, and no Kennedy's to mess it up!

Hey Roger, Nice Round! I always play in the 70's, any hotter than that and I go bowling!

Arlene said...

I used to go bowling but I started to get scared that I would get lung cancer.....