Sunday, January 13, 2008

Mr.Toad's Wild Run

Well, I did my 60 mile week. Yipeekaiaye!

Here's how it broke down:

Ran 44 going in to Sunday, with 21 of that coming on Saturday. Had to do 16 on Sunday, everything on me felt good no problem.

Started out at 6:48 AM at Morris Bridge Park in East Tampa. Ran a rapid 8, then hopped into the car and drove to Walt Didney World and found a free parking space on the side of the road right at the 22 mile mark. 3:20 showed on the clock, so I would be seeing competitors running 4 hour and over marathons. This fit with most of my friends running the race, so I was excited at the prospect of jogging a few miles with some of my buds.

First I figured would be Bryan Singletary, then I figured Julie who was doing the Goofy challenge, 1/2 marathon yesterday and marathon today. Also, I figured to see Barbara, my ex- of whom I am so proud for starting this running journey.

Out of that group I only saw Bryan. I ran down a mile from my car and picked up Bryan at the 21 mile mark and ran to about 23 with him. His training was hampered by a couple of injuries, but he was toughing it out.

After running two with Bryan I was treated to a bonus when I saw Ron Balow and the lovely Paula Cronin. They complained about not doing well, but they were zipping past everyone around them, and doing so with ease. I think they were just smart and started slowly on this hot and muggy day.

One more time I trotted back to my perch at the 21 mile mark and then came fellow Leto Falcon and groovy Luna Chick, Pam Dickens, we did 1/2 mile together and she told me to look out for her husband, whom she had left in the dust 1/2 mile back. As I jogged back to my stand, I did in fact see Billy and wished him well, though he didn't appear to want any company. Next came long and lean Caryl Albergo. Caryl runs a couple of marathons every year and works and is a mom, OF EIGHT! So, don't complain, Caroy can do it, so can we (of course Carol robbed a bank, an armored car, and few liquor stores along the way, because I currently have 3 of her passel in Catholic high school, and that is not free..... although, you'd think it was with what they pay me.. there it is Chase).

Anyway, I never did see Barbara, though she finished in a very respectable 5:48. I never did see Julie, though she was the fastest of the crew in 4:15, despite running the 1/2 marathon the day before, way to go Julie!

Julie: 4:15
Bryan: 5:13
Ron and Paula 5:13
Pam & Bill: 5:46 (he caught and passed her at the end)
Barbara- 5:48 1st one ever!
Caryl: 6:32 (not bad, she did the 1/2 on Saturday and still beat her goal)

I have run the Disney Marathon 5 times, it sucks, don't do it! But if one of your sucker friends is doing it, or any marathon, go out and run a few miles with them, that was a lot of fun, and my car didn't even get towed! Yippeekaiaye!



PS, Sad news from the Magic Kingdom. Seems like Mickey and Mini have split. Don't know for sure the reason, there is the theory that Mini was caught in a compromising situation with Pinocchio and heard yelling, lie you son of a gun, lie! Personally I don't believe it, I just think she's f'ing Goofy!

8 comments:

Star said...

Now, aren't you just as goofy for going over there in the first place? I can't stand disney. Were you at least dressed up in a character costume?

Mr. Matt said...

I'm Goofy, but not that Goofy!

Dr. Maguse said...

i think my bro-in-law runs the disney marathon.

i miss mr. toad's wild ride!!!!

Mickey has big ears, hands, and feet though.

Chase Squires said...

And you know what they say ... "Big hands ... big heart."

Yep.

Oy, Didney Marathon, did it once ... Once. Three and a half hours of running through backcountry service roads ("Hey, look! The Mickey sewer plant!") broken up by 15 mins of running through a park, all for just $165 or whatever ridiculous price they charge, not including hotel, overpriced food, the works ...

That said, I'm planning on running an upcoming marathon in Denver as a bandit, just clip on a number from some previous race, line up and go.

Dr. Maguse said...

well, big feet...means...worse smelling feet

Arlene said...

You are the best athletic supporter that I know!

Mr. Matt said...

I too miss Mr. Toad, though I don't miss Didney, aint that sompin'. Chase, every runner should be a bandit. If you don't think bandits have their place then ask Arlene. Bandits get to jump in fountains.

But at least you do get free park admission with Didney (well, I got to park for free anyway :)

Anonymous said...

I miss and love B K Sing Tree. I think of you all the time.

Hope you think of me too.

Love,

NCR