Friday, April 18, 2008

Song of the Week #12, Lookin' Good!

This week's song was inspired by the TC Girls 4 X 400 relay team. I thought about the Steve Martin version of "Impossible," Sadly, I couldn't find it on YouTube, so I am going with some Paul Thorn. Everybody Looks Good at the Starting Line." From Paul Thorn.com Here are some of the lyrics and a video including the song:

"Life is a race we've all got to run, so stand up andtoe the line. I wish that I could say it was alldownhill, but there are mountains we've got to climb.

Everybody looks good at the starting line.Get on your mark, get ready, but you better keep this in mind.You can hit the ground running like you're shotfrom a gun, but going the distance is the hard part son.Everybody looks good at the starting line."



Now our 4 X 400 Gals, not only looked good at the Starting Line, they looked great at the Finish Line. Did they qualify for state's? No. Did they win their heat? No. But they did do the impossible! They did all they could to qualify for states. They did all they could do to win their heat, but their 8th place finish at Regions just wasn't good enough to qualify. However, the time they ran would have been good enough to qualify in almost any other year. I told them if they could just cut on second off of their time from districts they would qualify for States... I was way wrong, because they chopped more than one second EACH off of their time, and they set a school record, and they still finished 4 spots out of the money.

The thing that's important is they did great at controlling what they could control, and they looked great doing it! They knew what was important, they understood they couldn't control the other schools, and they knew they performed above not just my expectations, but their own as well.

You Go Girls, Next year, you ARE going to States!

4 comments:

Roger said...

I have been checking ALL MORNING so that I could be the first to post a comment.

So here I am. Ahead of Chase, SuperDave, Star and all the rest...so here I am...

I don't really know what to say.

Mr. Matt said...

Yeah, I didn't know what to say either, but it's Friday and I like Paul Thorn, and I was doing track until 1 AM, so you know..

Arlene said...

Well, I know what to say....

CONGRATS to the TC girls on their season! I know that you never take much credit for your part in it, but at least pat yourself on the head this time.

Also, I would like to compliment you on the choice of song for this week. It couldn't have been a better choice for me too. I have it on my mp3 and will be playing it as I cross the starting line at the 112th Boston Marathon on Monday. Everybody may look good at the starting line, but not all of them will be perfectly coordinated (the outfit of course)with a "Don't Quit Boston" bracelet.

Let's hope that Jackson Browne's "Running on Empty" is far down on the playlist!

Mr. Matt said...

Arlene,
Great Luck at Boston!!
Lowery Park just wasn't the same without you, and you missed Har-Har, doubt he'll make a repeat appearance anytime soon.