Sunday, March 2, 2008

I'm Proud of Peter G, and Chase is Proud of Me!

I'm awfully proud of almost everyone that showed up for my track meet on Saturday. It was a long tough day, but it was a great day.

My athlete of the day for our team could have been the fast, suave, Julius. He came in second place of athletes from 26 schools, in the high jump, then followed that up with thirds in the two hurdle events. He scored 20 points for our team. All while cutting a dashing figure that the girls were going crazy over. It could have been Trevor, who got the teams only first place finish when he won the discus. He followed that up with a 3rd in the Shot Put. Trevor, the lovable lug, scored 16 points for our squad. Nope, neither of those worthy competitors was my athlete of the day, that goes to Peter G.

Peter didn't score any points for the team yesterday, but he showed me once again, what coaching is all about. Peter was the runner that had never broken 7 minutes in the mile a week ago, then he ran 6:27 at our meet on Thursday. Well, Peter did it again, but this time he went under 6! He clocked in a rapid 5:47. Wow, he is no a legitimate high school miler. I was talking to one of the other coaches later in the day and told him that story, and I told him, truth be known, if we cut athletes from the team, he would have been one of the first to go. I did not think he had that speed or desire in him. I WAS WRONG! He has worked harder than I thought he would. He has improved more than I thought possible. Who know how fast he can go? I told him after the race, "Peter, I've coached two all-Americans and several state champions, and I'm as proud of you as of any athlete I've every coached!

Oh, yeah, and Chase is proud of me because I was running today, I was smoking! I ran 26.2 miles in 3:45 minutes. No, this wasn't a marathon, just a little training run. Becky and Candi, both stood me up, so I was free to run the distance and speed of my choice. I chose to run fast (for me!) The weather was beautiful so I had a little bouncy-bounce in my steppy-step. Anyway towards the end of the run the bicycles were out in force at Flatwoods. Once I had to step off the trail and come to a complete stop to let a whole line of cycles by. Anyway this young, 10 - 12 year old girl warned those behind her, "Walker up." While I did correct her, "Actually I'm a runner." I didn't get mad, I didn't dog-cuss her, I just stepped back on the trial and started hauling butt again, making sure not to be misidentified again on today's run.

I know Chase is proud, I hope he tells that story to the next set of friends that visit him in Colorado :-)

5 comments:

Chase Squires said...

Baby steps Aman, Baby steps ... Andy is apparently wrestling (another new sport?) with his inner gangsta ... but as he noted, it wasn't a race. Keep working it, we'll see how you do at WS ...

Mr. Matt said...

Hey, but how about that Peter? My advice to him two weeks ago, "Take two weeks off and then quit all together!" Now, it's hey, if you started running a couple of miles before school and do my workouts, well, you can go to State by the time you are a junior. You just never know man.

superdave524 said...

Cool story, Ange.

Mr. Matt said...

I know, anytime I don't cuss anyone my daughter's age or younger, it's a cool story. Oh, and then there's Peter too. Glad I didn't quit on him. My new motto, Don't Quit on me, and I won't Quit on you!

Arlene said...

Just keep looking at the bracelet...

3:45! WOW! I'm impressed. See, you take off how many, two days, due to an injury, and look at where you are now! See, it pays to take time off! Even if it kills you!

Sorry that that biker insulted you. I think that I'd rather be called a "jogger" than a "walker".